xmlns:fb='http://www.facebook.com/2008/fbml' Friday Night Wife: Sweet Potatoes For My Sweet Potato
Four years ago I taught 2nd graders and had for five years. For now the Lord has me staying home with my babies. I am a believer in Jesus Christ. I have been married for 8 years to my best friend who just happens to be a football coach. We have four precious baby girls who keep us very busy. I love to spend time with family, craft, bake, cook, watch football, and whatever else comes up. I am hoping to start up a baking business with cakes, cupcakes, and cookies. I hope you enjoy reading about our life as much as I am enjoying blogging about it!

Gonzo

Gonzo

My Girls

My Girls

Adda B.

Adda B.

Ella Sue

Ella Sue

Chloe & Claire

Chloe & Claire

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Sweet Potatoes For My Sweet Potato

Tonight Ella got to try sweet potatoes!  This was the first vegetable we tried with Adda too.  Ella loved it!  There was no gagging like she did with the cereal!  I thought I would share with you how I make the baby food.  It's so easy and actually I think it's fun! 

I pulled out some of the containers from when Adda was eating baby food to wash.  I wasn't really sure how many it would make.  It's been a while since I have put away baby food!  I got these on www.onestepahead.com.  I like them because they stack nicely and the lids screw on tightly.  I know there are all different brands to choose from.  I didn't want to have to pop them out of an ice cube tray.  I wanted to just reach in my freezer and pull out my containers as needed.  Less work to me!    
 All you need is a blender/food processor (This is a Vitamix, which blends really well!), breast milk, and your food item.  It always needs to be cooked.  Either baked or steamed is best.  Boiling will take away some of the nutrients from the food.   
 I baked the sweet potato at 350 degrees for a little over an hour.  After it was cool I peeled the skin and put the pulp in the blender with a few ounces of breast milk.  I ended up having to add about 5 ounces of milk to get it to the consistency I wanted. 
 One potato made 7 - 2 ounce containers.  This will last us all week since I am just feeding her once a day right now.  I freeze them and get one out as needed.
 First bite!
 Success!  She loved it!
 Adda feeding Ella!  Notice her mouth open as she is giving her the bite.  I think it's impossible to feed a baby and not do something with your mouth as you give the bites!  I have tried with no luck!  Also, Adda has some CRAZY hair!  Wow!  You can tell we have been home all day long!

Homemade Sweet Potato Baby Food Expense:
1 Organic Sweet Potato - $0.81 from Kroger
(Made 7 - 2 ounce containers)
Approximately $0.11 per container
Approximately $0.05 per ounce

Gerber Sweet Potato Baby Food Expense:
(On Diapers.com)
8 pack of 2 - 3.5 ounce containers per pack is $11.39
Approximately $1.42 per two pack
Approximately $0.71 per container
Approximately $0.20 per ounce


That's a big difference to me!  It really isn't hard at all.  The best part is I know exactly what is going into her food!  I'll do this each time I make something new!  It's pretty eye opening to see the difference in prices!  

I found this chart online that compared different brands to homemade.  The price for Gerber matches pretty close what I found.  

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment