xmlns:fb='http://www.facebook.com/2008/fbml' Friday Night Wife: Chinese Take Out...At Home
Four years ago I taught 2nd graders and had for five years. For now the Lord has me staying home with my babies. I am a believer in Jesus Christ. I have been married for 8 years to my best friend who just happens to be a football coach. We have four precious baby girls who keep us very busy. I love to spend time with family, craft, bake, cook, watch football, and whatever else comes up. I am hoping to start up a baking business with cakes, cupcakes, and cookies. I hope you enjoy reading about our life as much as I am enjoying blogging about it!

Gonzo

Gonzo

My Girls

My Girls

Adda B.

Adda B.

Ella Sue

Ella Sue

Chloe & Claire

Chloe & Claire

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Chinese Take Out...At Home

I have a few things in my kitchen that I love!  One of these is my wok.  My parents bought it for Gonzo and I right after we got married.  Growing up my mom made stir fry all the time.  It was a meal that had lots of vegetables and made plenty for leftovers.  (My love for leftovers came from her!)  She had two complaints about her wok.  It wasn't non stick.  Every time she made something in it the bottom had a thick layer of burnt food that had to be soaked off.  It also didn't go in the dishwasher.  My mother loves the dishwasher!  Even more than that she loves when things that normally wouldn't be able to go in the dishwasher, can go in the dishwasher.  When my mom picked out our wok she looked for non stick and dishwasher safe!  She found it!  I think she was living vicariously through us with the new wok.  I think she really wanted it for herself but she bought it for us!  She is one good lady!
Breville Electric Wok
If you are ever in the market for an electric wok, this is a great one.  Last year we got my mom a gift card to Williams Sonoma so she could get a new wok with all the things she was looking for.  Of course, she bought this one!  

Along with my wok, I love Chinese food, and I love fried rice!  There are these great boxed meals you can buy at the grocery store that have everything you need (except chicken) to make great Chinese take out at home.  I like them because you can add pretty much whatever you want to it and have a great stir fry.  I like to use the rice in the box and add vegetable to make fried rice!  When they are on sale a Kroger I will get two or three of them just to have in the pantry.  It's a great meal!
 
I don't follow the instructions on the box exactly because I add more chicken than it calls for and I usually add different vegetables.  The first thing you do is cut the chicken up and put the seasoned cornstarch on it.  I always add more cornstarch to it since I use more chicken.   
 Heat the oil in the wok.  I use a little more oil than it calls for. 
 On a high sear you add the chicken and cook (stirring frequently) until it is golden brown.
 I drain it on a paper towel to get rid of the excess oil.
 Empty the extra oil and add the vegetable.  These are for the fried rice, but if I were going to add vegetable to the chicken mixture I would cook those before the carrots and peas.  Pour a little bit a water in the wok and cover.  Cook on high for 2-3 minutes just until they are starting to soften.  If you were cooking vegetables for the chicken you would take them out and start the carrots and peas for the rice.  I didn't add any other vegetable tonight so I continued with the fried rice.
 Before you add the cooked rice uncover and cook off the liquid from steaming the vegetable.  Add a little bit of oil and the rice and stir.  Cook on high (stirring frequently) 3-4 minutes.
 Add a little bit of soy sauce and continue to cook and stir for a few more minutes. 
 Empty the rice from the wok and add the chicken and vegetables of your choice back to the wok with the sauce.  I add a little bit of water to create more sauce.  Cook and stir a few minutes until it is warmed through and all combined.  Serve over your fried rice.
 Adda came in the kitchen and said, "Mom take a picture of my food too!"  Maybe I blog too much!  I love that girl because she never misses a beat!  Her bowl is minus the spicy garlic sauce!
 Looks pretty close to the picture on the box.  Try it!  You'll love it!  There are several flavors and we like them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment