xmlns:fb='http://www.facebook.com/2008/fbml' Friday Night Wife: Burgundy Stew!
Four years ago I taught 2nd graders and had for five years. For now the Lord has me staying home with my babies. I am a believer in Jesus Christ. I have been married for 8 years to my best friend who just happens to be a football coach. We have four precious baby girls who keep us very busy. I love to spend time with family, craft, bake, cook, watch football, and whatever else comes up. I am hoping to start up a baking business with cakes, cupcakes, and cookies. I hope you enjoy reading about our life as much as I am enjoying blogging about it!

Gonzo

Gonzo

My Girls

My Girls

Adda B.

Adda B.

Ella Sue

Ella Sue

Chloe & Claire

Chloe & Claire

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Burgundy Stew!

I got this cookbook in college from my mom.  She sent it to me in a package after I moved out of the dorm and into a duplex with Cammie.  This was the beginning of my Junior year.  I actually think this was the very first cookbook she gave me.  I love getting cookbooks from my mom.  Not only are they all good, but she writes in them!  That's what I love about them!
 The first thing I cooked out of this cookbook was Burgundy Stew.  I made this for Gonzo before we started dating.  He "loved" the meal (might have not liked it but he sure acting like he loved it) and it's been a favorite of ours since.  I think I was trying to win him over a bit.  The poor guy told me three different times in about a year that he liked me more than a friend, and wanted to start dating.  I had been on a few "friend" dates with him and thought it was just great that we could be such good buddies.  So typical of girls, right?!  (In fact, our first "friend" date was to Casey and Erin Thompson's wedding.  He is a coach with Gonzo at Martin and she is one of my best friend now.  Isn't that so crazy!)  Our first real date was on 11-16-2002.  I remember this because it was Mom's birthday!  He told me to tell you guys that I was totally worth the wait!  Ahhh, sweet guy!  I still feel a little bad that I turned him down so many times!    

Burgundy Stew
2 lbs. beef bottom or top round roast, cut into 1 inch pieces 
(I actually used a chuck roast that I had the butcher cut up, because it was on sale.)
2 stalks of celery, sliced (I used 3)
4 carrots, peeled and sliced (I used 6)
2 medium onions sliced (I used 1 large, and diced it)
1 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes 
(I used the larger can because that's what I had in my pantry and we really like the tomatoes in it.)
1 8oz. can of sliced mushrooms, drained (I used 1/2 package of fresh)
3/4 cup -1 cup dry red wine (can also use beef broth)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 teaspoon ground mustard (dry)
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup water
3 Tbsp. flour

Mix all ingredients except water and flour in a 6-quart slow cooker.  Cover and cook on low heat for 8-10 hours, or high heat for 4-5 hours.  Mix water and flour, gradually stir into beef mixture.
I decided to use my Pampered Chef Covered Baker because I didn't put it together until after lunch.  It works the same way a slow cooker does except you cook it in the oven and it takes a little less time.  I also used this along with the red wine:
These are fantastic!  Go get some before soup and stew season begin!  Love them.  
(Because I used one of these I used less salt than the recipe called for)
 Did you know that if you wrap your celery in foil it will last much longer?  Like much, much, much longer!
And...Don't forget to add your wine!  Because it's a slow cooker recipe, you won't risk drinking the wine before it goes in the dish.  You'll have to get it ready earlier in the day and surely you won't be drinking wine that early!  HA HA!
   
About an hour before it was done I made a slurry with liquid from the pot and flour.  Make sure you take the liquid out and cool before you add the flour.  If you add it while its hot the flour will lump up in the liquid.  This is the same step as water and flour that is in the recipe.  I added the water before I cooked it so that my slurry would have flavor. 
 Pour it into the stew and stir.  It will thicken the stew perfectly!
 I like to serve mine over pasta.  It could also be served over potatoes or rice.  The recipe in the cookbook serves it with herb dumplings.  I have never made it with these.  I am sure it would be delicious with them as well. 

Comment back on the post if you make it.  Let me know how yours turn out!  It's a family favorite for us!  Hope you enjoy it too!




No comments:

Post a Comment