xmlns:fb='http://www.facebook.com/2008/fbml' Friday Night Wife: Making A Cake - Phase 1
Four years ago I taught 2nd graders and had for five years. For now the Lord has me staying home with my babies. I am a believer in Jesus Christ. I have been married for 8 years to my best friend who just happens to be a football coach. We have four precious baby girls who keep us very busy. I love to spend time with family, craft, bake, cook, watch football, and whatever else comes up. I am hoping to start up a baking business with cakes, cupcakes, and cookies. I hope you enjoy reading about our life as much as I am enjoying blogging about it!

Gonzo

Gonzo

My Girls

My Girls

Adda B.

Adda B.

Ella Sue

Ella Sue

Chloe & Claire

Chloe & Claire

Friday, August 10, 2012

Making A Cake - Phase 1

When I make/decorate a cake I do it in three phases.  You can do it all in one day, but it sure makes decorating much easier to do it in steps.  In my opinion Duncan Hines is the very best.  I use this cake mix for all my cakes.  I promise it is DELICIOUS!  I don't just use the box recipe though.  On the side of the box they have a recipe for a Sock-It-To-Me cake.  This is what I use.  The result is a super moist, but firm (good for decorating) cake. 

When these are on sale,  it's not abnormal for me to come out of the store with 10 or more boxes.  I bag the boxes in 2 gallon Ziploc bags and keep them in the freezer until needed.  Sometimes they're $1 each at Kroger!  Yes, please!!!
For the cake you need eggs, sour cream, vegetable oil, water, and granulated sugar.  FYI - Adding extra fat to a cake will make it more moist (hence the added sour cream).  My Kitchen Aid mixer is also a major part to making the cake.  A hand mixer doesn't add the "fluff" to the batter that this mixer does.  I am such close buddies with my mixer.  She isn't flashy but she can "whip it" like a beast.  You might hear me refer to her as Betty the Beast!  I love my mixer!  
Here they are straight out of the oven.  I usually let them cool in the pans for about 10 minutes.  This recipe bakes a perfect cake.  I almost never have to level a cake before I decorate it.  But...if I do, I don't complain because the scraps are a great snack!!!
After 10 minutes I turn them out on a cooling rack to cool completely.  Check back soon for the finished product!  Yum, yum, yum!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment