xmlns:fb='http://www.facebook.com/2008/fbml' Friday Night Wife: Decorating a Cake - Phase 2 & 3
Four years ago I taught 2nd graders and had for five years. For now the Lord has me staying home with my babies. I am a believer in Jesus Christ. I have been married for 8 years to my best friend who just happens to be a football coach. We have four precious baby girls who keep us very busy. I love to spend time with family, craft, bake, cook, watch football, and whatever else comes up. I am hoping to start up a baking business with cakes, cupcakes, and cookies. I hope you enjoy reading about our life as much as I am enjoying blogging about it!

Gonzo

Gonzo

My Girls

My Girls

Adda B.

Adda B.

Ella Sue

Ella Sue

Chloe & Claire

Chloe & Claire

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Decorating a Cake - Phase 2 & 3

Phase 2: After the cake has cooled completely on a cooling rack I wrap them in saran wrap and put them in the freezer until the next day.  If I make them more than a few days in advance I make sure they are wrapped well to prevent freezer burn.  I take them out and begin the crumb coat using an offset spatula.  A crumb coat is a very thin layer of icing that prevents crumbs from getting in the outside icing.  It also helps stick the layers of cake together and makes them a uniformed shape.  Because the cakes are frozen it makes the crumb coating much easier.  You can decorate the cake right after you have crumb coated it or it can be put in the refrigerator and decorated later.

Phase 3: To decorate this cake I used a very large star tip and made roses all the way around.  This is a very forgiving decorating technique because it doesn't have to look perfect and still looks professional.  It does always take a little more icing doing this technique.  Oh well, what's a little more butter...and chocolate... and sugar...and cream!  No big deal that it takes a little more, right??!!!

When you put the first layer down to decorate add a dollop of icing on your cake platter, or cake board so it will stick and not move around while you're decorating it.  

Your crumb coat should be so thin that you can actually see the cake through it.  



This finished product.  Looks DELIGHTFUL, and DELICIOUS!

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
1 cup of butter - at room temperature
1/2 cup coco powder - sifted
5 cups powdered sugar - sifted
3 oz. semi sweet chocolate - melted and cooled
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. strong coffee - cooled (instant will work)
4-5 tbsp. cream (can also use milk)

Beat the butter until smooth in an electric mixer (aka Betty the Beast).  Add the sifted coco powder and powdered sugar.  Mix on low (so your not chocking on coco and sugar dust) until combined.  Add the melted chocolate and mix on low.  Add the remaining ingredients and beat on medium until well combined.  Scrape the bowl with a spatula and beat again for a few minutes.  You can add more or less cream depending on the consistency you need for decorating.  This is a very good recipe for chocolate buttercream.  I added and took away from a few different recipes I found online.  I added the vanilla and coffee to bring out the flavor of the chocolate.  I think it could have used a little more coffee actually!  There is just something about the coffee and chocolate together! 


This was the first time I have done the butter cake and chocolate buttercream together.  I made this for a friend who's mom retired and they had a family dinner to celebrate.  She said it was "Yum, yum, yum!"  Let me know what you think.  I'm making it again in a few weeks for our family reunion.  I guess I'll have to wait until then to taste it.  My mouth is watering right now just thinking about it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment