xmlns:fb='http://www.facebook.com/2008/fbml' Friday Night Wife: Black-Eyed Pea Jambalaya
Four years ago I taught 2nd graders and had for five years. For now the Lord has me staying home with my babies. I am a believer in Jesus Christ. I have been married for 8 years to my best friend who just happens to be a football coach. We have four precious baby girls who keep us very busy. I love to spend time with family, craft, bake, cook, watch football, and whatever else comes up. I am hoping to start up a baking business with cakes, cupcakes, and cookies. I hope you enjoy reading about our life as much as I am enjoying blogging about it!

Gonzo

Gonzo

My Girls

My Girls

Adda B.

Adda B.

Ella Sue

Ella Sue

Chloe & Claire

Chloe & Claire

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Black-Eyed Pea Jambalaya

If you are looking for a way to eat your black-eyed peas for the new year this is the way.  My parents stumbled upon this recipe a few years ago and I made it last year for the first time.  It is delicious and a new and different way to eat your lucky peas!!!  The original recipe came from the Taste of the South magazine.  My mom did some tweaking and I did a little more tweaking for our liking.  Also, if you have a little extra ham from Christmas this is a great way to use that up!  Here is my mom's version.  I'll post my changes at the bottom of the recipe.

Black-Eyed Pea Jambalaya
2 tbsp. vegetable oil (or olive oil)
1lb. smoked sausage, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
8 oz. ham, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium bell pepper, chopped
2 (15-oz) cans black-eyed peas with jalapenos, drained and rinsed
1 box of chicken stock, or beef
4 to 5 cups of cooked long-grain rice
salt to taste
cayenne pepper to taste
Garnish with chopped parsley and chopped green onion

I add:
1 can of diced tomatoes (undrained)
1/2 cup green chilies, chopped

In a large pot heat oil over medium heat.  Add sausage, ham, onions, celery, and bell pepper.  Cook, stirring for about 5 to 10 minutes until the vegetable are tender.  Add the garlic and cook 5 minutes more.  Add the black-eyed peas and chicken stock, and tomatoes (also green chilies if using them).  Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally for 1 hour.  I like the stock to reduce down a bit.  Add the cooked rice.  I cooked 4 cups.  You can cook more depending on the moistness you desire.  Stir gently to mix well.  Season with salt and cayenne.  I don't add any salt and leave the cayenne on the side for Gonzo to add so it's not too hot for Adda.  Garnish with parsley and green onion if desired.  You can cook the rice in with the mixture for a little while on medium-low to let the rice absorb some of the stock.  It's delicious!!!  Try it!!!

Onions, celery, ham, and sausage cooking.  I didn't get a bell pepper at the store so that is the reason I added the green chilies.  It would be good with both also.  
 Add the garlic and let it cook a few minutes more.
 Add peas, chilies, tomatoes and stir.
 Add the box of stock and let it simmer for an hour.
 Serve HOT!  I like the rice to absorb some of the stock before I serve it.  I let it cook down quite a bit before I add the rice and then let it cook a little while longer.  I did not garnish with parsley or green onion because I didn't have any!!!  I did serve it with some garlic bread with BUTTUH!!!

We ate our peas early so I could post this recipe.  I wanted to make sure I posted it before New Years Day so that people could make it if they wanted to!  It's super easy and very good!  Hope you enjoy!  Happy New Year from the Gonzales'!!!
      
 

No comments:

Post a Comment