xmlns:fb='http://www.facebook.com/2008/fbml' Friday Night Wife: Thanksgiving Prep...
Four years ago I taught 2nd graders and had for five years. For now the Lord has me staying home with my babies. I am a believer in Jesus Christ. I have been married for 8 years to my best friend who just happens to be a football coach. We have four precious baby girls who keep us very busy. I love to spend time with family, craft, bake, cook, watch football, and whatever else comes up. I am hoping to start up a baking business with cakes, cupcakes, and cookies. I hope you enjoy reading about our life as much as I am enjoying blogging about it!

Gonzo

Gonzo

My Girls

My Girls

Adda B.

Adda B.

Ella Sue

Ella Sue

Chloe & Claire

Chloe & Claire

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Thanksgiving Prep...

When it comes to Thanksgiving we plan on being home each year.  With football and the potential of having a game it doesn't make much sense to plan a trip out of town.  For the past 4 years we have had Thanksgiving at home just us!  Usually I have my stuff in the freezer a month ahead of time but this year I am behind a bit.  Today I made the dressing and broccoli and cheese casserole and put them in the freezer.  My dressing recipe makes two batches and I always put one in the freezer for Christmas.  I made two of the broccoli and cheese as well.  Might as well get that one done and in the freezer for Christmas too.  

Dressing is like a birth mark.  It follows you wherever you go.  It doesn't change.  It's in your blood.  It's part of who you are.  The stuffing recipe you make almost always is one that has been passed down from generation to generation.  You make it the same each year because that's what your mother did, or that's what your grandmother did.  If you happen to be in charge of the dressing and you show up with a different recipe than what has always been made you might as well clear your plate from the table!  This recipe I use is not passed down from generation to generation in the Lewis, Goudeket, or Gonzales family.  My mom got this recipe from a lady who we went to church with years ago.  If we happened to not be traveling to Tulsa to see my Nana and Papa, or Granny and Grandad happened to not be in Lovington this recipe was used.  If we were at Nana's she used her recipe, which is delicious!  If we were at Granny's she used her recipe, which was also delicious!  Granny isn't here to tell us her dressing is better, but Nana is and don't tell her I don't use her recipe!  This is what my mom has always made and so this is what I make.  It's very good!  I love me some dressing and this will stick to your ribs!  If you decide to venture away from "Yo Mamma's" dressing, here is "My Mamma's"!

My Mom's Dressing
2 recipes of cornbread made according to package directions (no sweet cornbread)
1 loaf french bread diced up and left out to harden over night
(I was in a hurry for my french bread to be stale so I put it in the oven on 200 for about 30 minutes)
1 pkg. Seasoned Stuffing Mix
2 cups chopped Onion
2 cups chopped Celery
2 tbsp. Sage
1/2 tbsp. Black Pepper
1/2 tbsp. Salt
6 Eggs beaten
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
2 - 3 boxes of Chicken Stock
Make the cornbread the day before.  Dice the french bread the day before and leave out to become stale.  Cook the onion and celery in a pan with a little butter and olive oil until tender.  Add the seasonings to the vegetable mixture and set aside to cool.  Add the eggs to the vegetable mixture when it has cooled.  In a large bowl, pot, bucket, or whatever you choose mix all the ingredients together.  Pour in 2 9x13 dishes that have been sprayed with cooking spray.  Freeze for later or bake at 400 for 35-40 minutes.  If you freeze it let it thaw before cooking.  I always use two boxes for sure.  When I am cooking it I make sure and have another box on hand just in case I need to add it while cooking to keep it moist.   


Broccoli and Cheese Casserole
The only recipe I use for this is a cheese sauce recipe to pour over the steamed broccoli.  It's the white sauce recipe from the Better Homes and Garden cookbook.  
2 tbsp. Butter
2 tbsp. Flour
1/4 tsp Salt
dash of Black Pepper
1 1/2 cups Milk
I triple this to make two casseroles.
To make it a cheese sauce you omit the salt for the above recipe and add cheese of your choice.  I use Velveeta for this recipe.  I use a full 2lb box when I triple the sauce recipe. 
Melt the butter in a sauce pan and add the flour.  Cook the flour and butter for a few minutes.  Do not let it brown.  Add the milk slowly while stirring with a wire whisk.  Add the pepper and bring to a slow boil.  Stir continuously and it will start to thicken as it boils.  Add your cheese one cube at a time until it is all melted.  Pour it over the broccoli in a dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.  Top with toasted bread crumbs.   

 All four ready for the freezer!
 Wrapped and labeled!
I had planned on making spaghetti for dinner tonight but I am tired of looking at pots and pans and standing in the kitchen.  Looks like we will be having take out tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment