xmlns:fb='http://www.facebook.com/2008/fbml' Friday Night Wife: Buttercream Chevron, YUMMMMM!
Four years ago I taught 2nd graders and had for five years. For now the Lord has me staying home with my babies. I am a believer in Jesus Christ. I have been married for 8 years to my best friend who just happens to be a football coach. We have four precious baby girls who keep us very busy. I love to spend time with family, craft, bake, cook, watch football, and whatever else comes up. I am hoping to start up a baking business with cakes, cupcakes, and cookies. I hope you enjoy reading about our life as much as I am enjoying blogging about it!

Gonzo

Gonzo

My Girls

My Girls

Adda B.

Adda B.

Ella Sue

Ella Sue

Chloe & Claire

Chloe & Claire

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Buttercream Chevron, YUMMMMM!


As promised, I am going to attempt to walk you through how I do chevron ruffles with buttercream on a cake. 
 
Here are the things you'll need:
Crumb coated layered cake
Chevron cookie cutter
Buttercream icing in your choice of color and flavor
Decorating tip used to make a rose. 
 
After your cake is crumb coated you will use the chevron cookie cutter to gently press into the sides of the cake.  This will leave you with a guide to follow when you add your ruffles. 

This is the tip I used.  It's a Wilton 104.  If you choose one bigger than this it would create a larger ruffle, or vise versa if it were a smaller tip.
 
After you have a guide on the cake you will start by filling in the bottom triangles with a little "pillow" of icing.  This will allow the first full ruffled layer to have a something to lay over.  You will put the wide end of the tip up so that the ruffle has a sharp edge at the bottom.   

Then you will start squeezing and follow up and down each line giving a slight wiggle of your wrist as you move.   
 
 Continue moving up the cake filling in one chevron line at a time.   
 
Switch your tip and put on the next color you are using. 

Follow up and down each line filling in as many sections as you choose. 

As you get closer to the top of the cake you will be left with a small triangle like you had at the bottom of the cake.   

When you fill this section in you will have some icing that goes over the top edge. 
 
Use a small spatula and smooth that icing toward the middle and scrape off the excess icing with each swipe. 
 
 On the top you will squeeze with the wide end pointing to the center of the cake and follow around in a circle.

 Continue with the next color of icing.  If I had been making a one tier cake I would have finished with my darkest shade of pink in the center of the cake.  Because I was going to add another tier I stopped with this color and added wooden skewers to support the top tier.   
 
Here it is with the added tier. 
 
 
 
For the top tier I used a large closed start tip and did roses.
 


 



In a perfect world I would have a nice video of this for you guys to watch!  That's a LOT for me to take in at this point.  Maybe one day I'll get Gonzo to video me and become a computer whiz and upload a superb tutorial.  Until then...I hope this made sense!!!
 

The cake was a hit, but the baby bump was WAY cuter!  We can't wait to meet you Baby Brynley!!!
 
 
If you attempt this tag me in a picture.  I'd love to see it!!!  


No comments:

Post a Comment