xmlns:fb='http://www.facebook.com/2008/fbml' Friday Night Wife: Superbowl Sunday Happenings
Four years ago I taught 2nd graders and had for five years. For now the Lord has me staying home with my babies. I am a believer in Jesus Christ. I have been married for 8 years to my best friend who just happens to be a football coach. We have four precious baby girls who keep us very busy. I love to spend time with family, craft, bake, cook, watch football, and whatever else comes up. I am hoping to start up a baking business with cakes, cupcakes, and cookies. I hope you enjoy reading about our life as much as I am enjoying blogging about it!

Gonzo

Gonzo

My Girls

My Girls

Adda B.

Adda B.

Ella Sue

Ella Sue

Chloe & Claire

Chloe & Claire

Monday, February 4, 2013

Superbowl Sunday Happenings

We had a very busy day yesterday.  Sunday morning we got up and made a new recipe for waffles.  Gonzo likes when we have waffles because we put the leftovers in the freezer and he eats them for breakfast throughout the week.  I had used a recipe from a friend a few weeks before that we liked and was going to do the same recipe, but realized I had accidentely deleted the recipe in a text when I cleaned out my texts the week before.  Bummer!!!!  So I surfed around on Pinterest and found one that was similar (using oats in the batter) and we decided to try it.  I am glad we did because they were awesome and we liked them more than the others I made a few weeks before. 
These are the waffles we made, well sort of!  Blackberry Cobbler Waffles
We did not use blackberries, ice cream, or a blackberry fruit mixture on top.  I did use the batter recipe and added frozen wild blueberries I had in the freezer.  They were delicious and we will for sure be making these again with or without the fruit.  I made a double batch to make sure there were plenty of leftovers for the freezer.  Waffles are one of my dad's favorites so I am sure I will be making more when they come this weekend. 
These are our waffles!

Not quite as ridiculous as the cobbler ones above but delicious!  Try them!  You will not be disappointed at all!  The batter recipe is a great one hang onto and you could add different things.  I think adding chopped up cooked bacon would be very good!  Might have to try that next time!

Besides the waffle making I had to RE-make the cupcake shape bird feeders for Ella's birthday party this weekend.  I was not very fired up about the RE-make part!  I was trying to be super on top of my list and get things done ahead of time.  The making them ahead of time was not the problem, it was the bagging and tying them up in favor bags that was the problem.  
I bagged them up with ribbons and tags on Wednesday and set them all aside thinking I was sooo ahead of the game by having that done already.  Well a few days later I walked by them and noticed a few of them were starting to grow a little MOLD!  I guess the flour and sugar being sealed up in a bag created the perfect environment for mold to grow!  Within a few more days they were all covered!  Sheesh!!!!  I started trying to brainstorm ideas of how I would bag these up to send them home after I made new ones.  I didn't want to just send them home on a string because I would be left with birdseed all over my house.  I found organza favor bags in the wedding section at Hobby Lobby!  This would work because they were breathable bags and should not create a mold growing environment.  Luckily they were 50% off on Saturday when I picked them up!
 
Here they are all tied up nicely in their clear (mold growing environment) favor bags!  They looked so cute!
Sorry about the sideways picture!  These are some of the ones that weren't super moldy.  Some of the others were covered completely!  Gonzo was nice enough to carefully take all the ribbons and string off the bags so I could save my ribbon and tags.  We just threw away the bags and feeders.  I didn't think it would be very nice to feed the birds in our backyard molded birdseed!  The new un-molded bird feeders are setting out drying and I will not try to be ahead of the game bagging them up this time.  Even though I am positive the breathable bag will fix this mold problem I am going to be safe and bag them on Friday night when the girls go to bed!  So...to save you the trouble, if you plan on making these and bagging them make sure it's a breathable bag or bag them the very last minute before giving them away!  Oh, and maybe warn people not to leave them in the bags to grow a science project!

In honor of the Super Bowl Gonzo and I made a new chicken wing recipe!  I also found this recipe on Pinterest and we changed it a bit to our liking!  
Here is the original recipe: Sriracha Glazed Chicken Wings
The recipe called for fresh chopped ginger and sesame oil.  I did not use either.  I used fresh chopped garlic and a few teaspoons of dried ground ginger I had in the pantry.  We also added LOTS more Sriracha Sauce because we wanted them pretty hot.  Like about 6 Tbsp. more!  I also added a little more sugar than the recipe called for.  We doubled the sauce recipe because we used more chicken than the recipe called for.  It said to marinate them for 30 minutes and we marinated them for about 2 hours.  I don't think it would hurt to marinate them overnight either!  I cooked them longer and at a higher temperature than the recipe said so that I could get the sauce to reduce and glaze the chicken.  Probably all together they cooked for a little over an hour.  I cooked them at 450 instead of 375.  
 
Here is the picture of our wings!
It's not a great picture and I almost didn't get a picture before they were all gone!  I would have liked to cook them a little longer to get the sauce to reduce a little bit more but we ran out of time.  Everyone loved them and we will most definitely be making these again!  They would even be good as a meal with some sides!  We dipped them in Ranch but they were very good without anything.  Sriracha Glazed Chicken Wings were for sure a hit!!!! 
  



No comments:

Post a Comment