xmlns:fb='http://www.facebook.com/2008/fbml' Friday Night Wife: Great Weather, Busy Day!
Four years ago I taught 2nd graders and had for five years. For now the Lord has me staying home with my babies. I am a believer in Jesus Christ. I have been married for 8 years to my best friend who just happens to be a football coach. We have four precious baby girls who keep us very busy. I love to spend time with family, craft, bake, cook, watch football, and whatever else comes up. I am hoping to start up a baking business with cakes, cupcakes, and cookies. I hope you enjoy reading about our life as much as I am enjoying blogging about it!

Gonzo

Gonzo

My Girls

My Girls

Adda B.

Adda B.

Ella Sue

Ella Sue

Chloe & Claire

Chloe & Claire

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Great Weather, Busy Day!

The high today was 82, I think!  Right now it's 68!  AHHHHHH!!!  That is amazing!  I had to laugh outloud when I read all the comments on facebook about the amazing weather.  I guess everyone was needing a break from all the sweating!  I sure was!  I was determined to get outside for more than a little while, if the weather was going to be so amazing!

Our day started with the girls both sleeping until 10:00!  AHHHHHH!!! That is also amazing!  I don't really know what we did to deserve two really good sleepers.  I don't know that life of waking up early with children.  We are super spoiled!  One day when the girls are having to wake up early to go to school, it will be a war getting them up.  Oh well, we will cross that bridge when we get there!  For now I will sleep in as much as I can!

After the girls were up, feed, and dressed we went to JoAnns for a bead set for Adda.  She is now obsessed with making necklaces after she got the bead set from my Nana last weekend.  I had a coupon and they were also on sale.  On our way home I zipped into Sonic to get popcorn chicken for Adda and I to share for lunch.  As I pulled into the garage the bag of chicken flew to the floor board and spilled everywhere.  So wonderful!  I love when that happens!  I didn't waste any of it.  We went by the 5 second rule, of course!  We're all working on our immune systems here!  After lunch Adda worked on her necklaces and I put Ella down for her nap.

 One of my best friends had a birthday today.  Upon her request, I am making her birthday cake.  She wanted chocolate cake with marshmallow buttercream.  Actually, she mentioned the 7 minute frosting, but you have to beat egg whites over the stove for that frosting and I STILL DON'T HAVE AN OVEN OR STOVE!  (Don't even get me started on the topic of Sears and their extended warranty policies!!!!)  So I baked the cakes across the street, and made marshmallow buttercream instead.  This icing was a new experience for me.  I found a few different recipes online and changed them up a bit to my liking.  It's pretty darn good, if I do say so myself.  So, while the girls were sleeping I decorated the cake.  It turned out pretty good!
 I put marshmallow fluff in with the butter and powdered sugar.  I had never tried marshmallow fluff until today.  I remember one time that my mom had it in the pantry and I thought it looked disgusting.  It seemed like it would be a cross between marshmallows, and miracle whip (because the container looked the same as miracle whip).  I wasn't willing to try it.  How sad that I didn't!  It's delicious, and in icing, it's even better!
 This is the spoon I used to get it out of the jar, and into the bowl.  It's stiff and STICKY!  I had to clean the spoon.  After one lick it didn't budge!
 After two or three licks!  It became a game...how many licks does it take to clean the spoon of marshmallow fluff?
 And it's clean!  I think this was 10 licks. 
 Crumb coat done
 When I was looking online for recipes I read some reviews.  One of the things that is frustrating about the 7 minute frosting is that it doesn't decorate or travel well.  It has a marshmallow flavor so, putting the fluff into a regular buttercream is like the best of both worlds.  I did read in the reviews that even though it was sturdier than the 7 minute frosting it still needed to be chilled well and kept cold until serving.  I chilled the cake, and icing before I decorated it. 

This is the how to on the petal decorating.  I saw this on the blog i am baker
 Put dots of icing in a straight line up and down. 
 Use and small offset spatula to smear the dot to one side.  Repeat all the way around the cake. 
 For the top I measured and found the center.
 I wanted to have the petals all go into the center to look like a chrysanthemum when finished. 
 The dot on the edge I smashed down a little more than the others so it would fall over the edge a little more. 
 Turned out pretty cute!  Looks like I wanted it to.  I did find that the longer I was working on it the more difficult the icing was to work with.  It isn't as sturdy as a regular buttercream.  It went straight to the fridge after I finished it.  

Gonzo got home at 6:00 from football and we had our weekly family date night.  During football we always try to make our Saturday night a fun date night for everyone.  If we don't go out to eat I try to cook a really nice meal,  Then we either go do something or rent a movie and play games at home.  It's pretty much the only night of the week we get to do that!  Tonight, we went to eat at Babe's and then went to the concert at Levitt Pavilion.  We all ate WAY to much and waddled out to the grass with our folding chair.  It was Johnny Rodriquez who sang.  I didn't recognize his name but Gonzo said he sang a few songs from the movie Urban Cowboy.  We love the movie Urban Cowboy!  We quote lines from the movie at each other all the time.  We like the movie so much that we named our first cat together, Sissy!  Gonzo always said we needed to get a dog and name it Bud!  No thanks!  I am a cat kinda girl!  They take care of themselves.  The concert didn't blow my socks off, but it was cool outside and the music was nice.  There is something about sitting in the grass listening to country music with a beer in a koozie.  It helps when the temp is in the 80's.  We didn't stay long but the girls enjoyed it and so did we.
 Waiting at Babes! 
 Ella's first time to sit at the table with us!  She was pretty fired up about it!
 Adda was telling us to look over there at all that foooood!  Hungry girl!
 At the concert!  It felt soooo goood outsideeeee!
AHHHHHH!!!  Now the girls are both asleep and I'm relaxing in bed.  I hope we are done with the hot temperatures.  I am ready for cooler temperature everyday, leaves changing colors, and the smell of Fall!  I bet you are too!  

Don't forget about the next giveaway!  Join the blog, comment to the post, or share my link on your social media page to be entered.  I will draw tomorrow night at midnight!  

Marshmallow Buttercream
2 cups butter softened
1 bag of powdered sugar (can also use 3/4 of the bag if you choose)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 16oz. jar of marshmallow fluff
2 tbsp. heavy cream or half and half

Beat the butter in an electric mixer until light and fluffy.  Add the powdered sugar a little at a time.  Add the vanilla and mix well.  Add the marshmallow fluff and cream and beat until combined.  Add more or less cream based on the consistency you choose.  Chill before and after decorating.  Can also be used to fill a cake or cupcake.  Made enough to crumb coat and decorate an eight inch, two layer cake.  I had about 3/4 a cup left over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment