xmlns:fb='http://www.facebook.com/2008/fbml' Friday Night Wife: Cupcakes Galore and An Empty Basket!
Four years ago I taught 2nd graders and had for five years. For now the Lord has me staying home with my babies. I am a believer in Jesus Christ. I have been married for 8 years to my best friend who just happens to be a football coach. We have four precious baby girls who keep us very busy. I love to spend time with family, craft, bake, cook, watch football, and whatever else comes up. I am hoping to start up a baking business with cakes, cupcakes, and cookies. I hope you enjoy reading about our life as much as I am enjoying blogging about it!

Gonzo

Gonzo

My Girls

My Girls

Adda B.

Adda B.

Ella Sue

Ella Sue

Chloe & Claire

Chloe & Claire

Monday, April 21, 2014

Cupcakes Galore and An Empty Basket!

I don't usually make cupcakes.  Mostly because I like cake better, but my cake recipe doesn't work good for cupcakes.  It doesn't have a rounded top and it pulls away from the liner.  I have found a cupcake recipe that makes very pretty cupcakes but it doesn't taste as good as the cake recipe.  If you have a good cupcake recipe please share!  I am still on the search for a pretty and delicious tasting cupcake.  

I had to make a few batches of cupcakes recently.  One batch for Adda's school birthday party (All the kids get to celebrate their birthday at some point during the school year so that the summer birthdays don't get left out).  The other batch was for Adda's Easter party at school.

Rainbow Cupcakes
When I asked Adda what she wanted me to do for her birthday she said, "rainbow cupcakes please"!!!  I knew she would say that!  I looked around on Pinterest and found a few things.

I don't know that I would call this a "Pinterest Fail" but it sure doesn't look like the one on the left.  It looks like the top colors sunk to the bottom of the cupcake during baking.  Weird!  Adda didn't care!  She still saw the rainbow!  


Everything I read said to make sure you use very vibrant colors of batter so that the browning from the baking would not show through the color.  It would have been nice if I had a recipe with the Pinterest one.  It was only a picture.  It did say to use a piping bag to put your color in each cupcake liner.  
Very vibrant colors!
Put each color in a piping bag.
Here is what it looked like when I got them all filled.  They were perfectly layered...until they baked!
Ella watching them bake.
See, it looks like each cupcake had the darker colors rise to the top on one side.  Not sure what caused it. 


You can slightly see the rainbow from the outside. 
My handy dish loader/unloader.
Look at Ella sneaking a taste of the icing!
The finished product!

Even though they didn't stay layered like the Pinterest cupcake they turned out pretty cute!
Singing Happy Birthday to Adda!

Every kid in the class ate the icing first! 

My parents were here on their Spring Break and came to the class party!  Adda was very surprised! 

Easter Party Cupcakes
These were also a Pinterest inspired project.  I was very glad I ran across these because all the other Easter themed cupcakes were baskets with a candy arch that looked much more involved that I wanted.  These turned out much cuter than the rainbow cupcakes did.  I made the cupcakes a week ahead and had them in the freezer and the icing I had leftover in the freezer from Ella's avocado birthday cake.

The grass is made using a Wilton grass tip.  It's super easy and turns out looking just like grass. 




I let them both have a Peep while I was working!  It was their first! 
Fixing to hunt eggs at the class party.  This is Adda's buddy! 
And they're off!  
 Ok, I need to give some details before you see the next picture.  Adda has never had to hunt eggs with a huge group of kids.  She has hunted with her cousins and also with the kids I used to keep but there were always plenty to fill each persons basket.  I made two mistakes in preparation for this class Easter egg hunt.  One, I didn't explain to her that she needed to run like the wind and grab as many eggs as possible to shove in her basket.  Second, I bought rainbow eggs for her to take to school.  That was my biggest mistake!!!  I should have just bought the plain eggs that everyone associates with an egg hunt.  What was I thinking when I got the rainbow ones?!?!?!  I was thinking that Adda would think they were so cool and would love taking those to her class party for the big hunt.  She did think all of that but when the teachers said GO she had one thing on her mind...I need to find those rainbow eggs!!!!  In a matter of a few minutes 120 plus eggs were in all the other kids baskets and Adda had none.  I wasn't sure what to do.  I looked over and all the other parents were standing on the side just watching and here I was out in the middle of it all trying to explain to her that she just needed to grab eggs and not worry about those rainbow ones.  She quickly realized the excitement was over and her basket was empty and started to cry!  I was sick!  I wanted to cry for her and I wanted to go yank all those rainbow eggs out of the other kids baskets and put them in hers.  I wanted to tell the teacher that a better plan would have been to have each kid get 18 eggs and then stop.  I didn't do any of that.  I just watched and my heart broke for her.
Her teacher came over and talked to her and gave her a hug when she realized what was happening and right after I took this picture a few of the girl from her class came over and took eggs out of their own baskets and put them in hers.  Sweet little girls!  Adda later told me that none of the boys shared their eggs when she had an empty basket!  Rotten boys!  When the kids came in from outside the teachers had all the baskets in the hall and everyone got 18 eggs.  Guess what...Adda didn't get one of her rainbow eggs in the 18 that were in her basket.  I think she wasn't meant to have those stinking rainbow eggs. 


 Even though that was so hard for me to watch I think it was good for her.  She gets her mind fixed on something and can't get away from it.  She was bound and determined to get the eggs that she wanted and because of that didn't get any.  Parts of that are good but parts are bad.  She will be able to put her mind on a task and do it well.  But she also needs to be able to hear the adult in the background telling her that she needs to not worry about the rainbow eggs and just get some eggs in her basket.  She needs to be able to take criticism and instructions from someone on the outside.

When we did our egg hunt here at the house for the girls she ran hard and grabbed eggs.  She even helped Ella get eggs and put eggs in Chloe and Claire's baskets.  Maybe she remembered the horrible experience on the playground!  Poor thing!  I love my rainbow obsessed girl! 





It ended up being a very fun party and she forgot all about that empty basket by the time we got back to the classroom. I learned a lesson too!  Don't be fooled by all those fancy eggs in the store. Just go with plain!!!!
This is a boy in her class who is moving and this was his last day. She was so sweet and gave him a big hug telling him they would miss him for the next egg hunt!  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment